Friday, August 14, 2009

Frank Darabont Is Stealing My Ideas!


A while ago, I was idly coming up with ideas for TV shows - it's something I have a habit of doing whenever I'm on one of my country trips (that's not some kind of drug metaphor. I mean, whenever I've driven out to the country for my job).

Aaaaaanyway, just as I'd thought a free-roaming zombie video game ala Grand Theft Auto would be cool, I also thought a HBO/Showtime TV series about a group of survivors in a zombie-infested world would be pretty cool. Then I found out about The Walking Dead, which is pretty much that idea except in comic book form.

Well, I figured, if they can adapt Dexter from novel to top-rating TV show, and make changes as they please, why couldn't they do the same with this? So I put my The Walking Dead-as-TV-series into my Good-Ideas-That-Will-Never-Happen pile and left if at that.

And then today, I find this on Chud.com;

Frank Darabont is close to finalizing a development deal with AMC to write and direct a tv series adaptation of The Walking Dead [...] Joel Stillerman, AMC's head of programming, production and original content says that "The series will stay faithful to the tone of the original novels. This is not about zombies popping out of closets,this is a story about survival, and the dynamics of what happens when a group is forced to survive under these circumstances. The world (in 'Walking Dead') is portrayed in a smart, sophisticated way."


Next thing you know HBO will be announcing a Batman TV series. And I'll have to start checking for microchips in my brain.

No comments: